Are you looking to liven up your grey living room? In this article, we have shared 7 of the best transformative ways to make your grey living room visually pleasing. You can do this by bringing in your own personal preferences and following our guide below!
Keep reading to discover 7 ideas to transform a grey living room!
1. Use a monochromatic colour scheme for a calming grey living room idea
Grey can work on its own in your living room. This is known as having a monochromatic interior, this is where you layer one colour in a room, much like the design above. For instance, if you want to create a monochromatic grey living room, start with your base shade and then choose 2-3 shades of grey to incorporate into the room. This could be a light grey wall with a darker grey sofa and monochromatic artwork to complete the look.
2. Add wall panelling to your grey living room to add texture
Wall panelling is a great way to add character to a grey living room, as it can add depth to a one-tone wall. Furthermore, panelling plays with light and in the evening, your living room could be transformed into a cozy oasis that looks and feels sophisticated. Wall panelling is a great choice for you if you want a statement look or don’t want to add artwork to your walls, as the panelling will provide all the style you need.
3. Use grey furniture to create contrast in your living room
Image source: Oak Furniture Superstore
Using grey furniture will help you build up a neutral look for your living room. If you have light grey walls, consider darker grey furniture and mid-tone grey accessories to give your living room better contrast. As you can see from the image above, the dark grey sofa makes a bold impact against the light grey walls and decor, which helps give the space more depth and character!
4. Play with pattern through wallpaper for a playful grey living room
Image source: I Love Wallpaper
If you’re someone who loves to have pattern and texture in a room, then why not try out a grey wallpaper? There are so many patterns and textures available out there, that you’re spoiled for choice. Take this geometric patterned wallpaper as an example, it really adds visual interest and form to the space than if it were a plain grey wall. It’s also soothing on the eye with it’s two-tone scheme that is subtle but full of character.
5. Introduce white into your grey living room for contrast
For a minimalist and tranquil living room style, combine grey and white for the ultimate colour scheme that brings in a cozy and clean design. If you’ve got white walls, opt for grey furnishings so that you have contrast.
Alternatively, if you’ve got grey walls and grey furniture, incorporate white elements such as throws, curtains, lamps, artwork and pillows to create a subtle contrast in your grey living room.
6. Create a sophisticated living room aesthetic with a dark grey colour scheme
Have you always wanted to have a dark and cosy living room? While black is best avoided in the living room, grey is an alternative shade to paint your walls to modern a room. When painting your living room dark grey, it’s best to do it with caution as it can carry a dull look if it’s not done right. Combine with bright colours including white accents to contrast a dark grey room.
This can be done in many ways including bright sofas to liven up your space and vibrant artwork and lamps. If you’ve got a beautiful fireplace in your living room, make sure it’s done in a way that lightens up your space to avoid being lost as your living room’s focal point.
7. Or combine grey and black for a cozy living room idea
Grey and black living room decor can look utterly cosy and sophisticated, just like Very’s beautiful living room setup. The use of throws and accessories such as minimal lighting features, cushions and accessories like vases, candles and ornaments set the tone for a glam romantic living look.
To replicate the same level of comfort and style in your workspace, explore a diverse range of office chairs that not only offer ergonomic support but also complement your aesthetic preferences. Just as in your living room, the right furniture can transform your office into a cozy and productive environment.
5 Frequently asked questions about grey living rooms…
1. What are the benefits of having a grey living room?
Grey is a versatile colour that can be used to create a variety of looks, from modern and minimalist to cozy and inviting. It’s also a neutral colour, so it’s easy to mix and match with other colours.
Here are some of the benefits of having a grey living room:
- It’s a timeless colour that won’t go out of style.
- It’s calming and relaxing, making it a great choice for a living room.
- It’s versatile and can be paired with a variety of other colours.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain.
- It can make a small space feel larger.
2. What are the different shades of grey?
There are many different shades of grey, from light and airy to dark and moody. The best shade for your living room will depend on your personal style and the overall feel you want to create.
Here are a few popular shades of grey:
- Light grey: This is a great choice for a small space or a living room that gets a lot of natural light.
- Mid-grey: This is a versatile shade that can be paired with a variety of other colours.
- Dark grey: This is a more dramatic shade that can create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Charcoal grey: This is a deep and sophisticated shade that is perfect for a modern living room.
- Silver grey: This is a cool and elegant shade that can add a touch of luxury to your living room.
3. How do I style a grey living room?
The best way to style a grey living room is to use a variety of textures and patterns. This will help to break up the monotony of the colour and create a more visually interesting space.
Here are a few tips for styling a grey living room:
- Add pops of colour with pillows, throws, and artwork.
- Use different textures, such as wood, leather, and velvet.
- Layer patterns to create depth and interest.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match different shades of grey.
- Add some greenery to bring the space to life.
4. What are some mistakes to avoid when decorating a grey living room?
Here are a few mistakes to avoid when decorating a grey living room:
- Using too much grey. A room that is all grey can be boring and monotonous.
- Not adding enough contrast. A little bit of contrast will help to make the space more visually interesting.
- Using too many dark or light shades of grey. A room that is all dark or light grey can be overwhelming.
- Not adding any personality. A grey living room can be a blank canvas, so be sure to add some of your own personal touches.
- Not accessorizing. A well-placed throw pillow, vase of flowers, or piece of artwork can make a big difference in the overall look of the space.
5. What are some popular accent colours for grey living rooms?
Here are a few popular accent colours for grey living rooms:
- White: This is a classic and timeless colour that goes well with any shade of grey.
- Black: This is a bold and sophisticated colour that can add drama to the space.
- Blue: This is a calming and relaxing colour that is perfect for a bedroom or living room.
- Green: This is a refreshing and natural colour that can add a touch of life to the space.
- Yellow: This is a cheerful and optimistic colour that can brighten up the space.
No matter what accent colours you choose, be sure to use them sparingly so that the grey colour remains the dominant one.
Love these warm and cozy grey giving room ideas? Get more inspiration with our ideas below!