Have you just got yourself a new cactus plant and you’re rattling your brains on what to name your new plant baby?
First, let me delve into some cool facts about the cactus plant before getting down to the cute list of names to call your new plant.
There are around 2000 types of cactus plants in the world, all different shapes and sizes and are typically green or sometimes blue/brown-green. The largest cacti can grow a whooping 66 feet!
We all know that the cactus plant doesn’t need much water, this is because in the desert, when the rainfalls, which can be just a short shower once in a while, the cactus absorbs the water in its stem. When this happens, it puffs out to look swollen. This is because the roots of a cactus are very short and the plant is able to store the water quickly.
Plants usually open their stomata in the day, however a cactus will open at night and in extreme measures when it needs to conserve water. Water is also absorbed in the needles on the cactus. Needles are also known as the cacti’s ‘spine’ as this plant doesn’t have leaves like most. The ‘spine’ needles on the cactus help the plant in many ways including protection against animals, helps retain water by trapping the airflow to prevent water loss, provides a source of shade in hot conditions and even aids in breeding.
How to care for your cactus
- Choose the right soil: opt for soil that drains water easily as soil that absorbs water isn’t good for your cactus
- Try not to keep them in extreme temperatures for a long period of time
- Have patience – cacti grow a lot slower than your average plant (remember it has a long lifespan)
- Water at least once a week
- Upgrade the pots now and then – leaving a cactus in a small pot will restrict its growing sized your cactus starts to change colour (bleach or orange colour) then remove it from direct sunlight
Cacti can live for decades, so if you’re looking for a true plant investment, this is the one for you. Since they live for a long period of time, it’s only right to give your cactus a good name. So read below for some of our favourite names to call your cactus…
Top names you should name your cactus:
- Old man
- Powder puff
What will you name your cactus?